No topology fits my network.

Have a question about Active Wall? Ask it here!

No topology fits my network.

Postby XEyedBear » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:12 am

This is a new install, first time use of Active Wall, un-informed user:

Installation fails at the very first step: none of the topologies illustrated match the configuration of my home LAN, which is:

ISP-supplied Netgear Super-hub (combined cable modem and router), supporting wireless and wired LAN clients.
4 or 5 wifi connected laptops/desktops
3 or 4 CAT5-cable/ethernet connected desktops,
1 Iomega Home Media Network Drive (ethernet connected, direct to Super-Hub)

The ethernet-connected PCs are connected either directly to the SuperHub (one) or via 2 simple hubs/switches

The PC on which I am trying to install Active Wall is one of the wifi-connected laptops

There is no bridge. The Super-Hub acts as the Gateway to the internet

I cannot see how one of the laptops in this configuration can control the traffic generated by any other PC (especially the laptops) - which is the single reason that I need something like Active Wall.

Can I use Active Wall in this configuration?
XEyedBear

Re: No topology fits my network.

Postby admin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:41 pm

You can try Redirect mode. It may be effective for your network.
admin
Site Admin

Postby XEyedBear » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:07 am

admin wrote:You can try Redirect mode. It may be effective for your network.

This wording creates the impression in my mind that Active Wall is not certain to work in my set-up. But the claim is that Active Wall will work in any topology, without changes. Not only that but almost all of the Home networks I have seen have an identical topology to mine - because there is little other choice for the average non-expert home user.

The Active Wall help files says about Redirect Mode:

"When the computers in LAN are connected with an unmanaged switch which can not do mirror configurations, and if you do not deploy HUB/TAP, you can choose Redirect mode"

- What is the meaning of HUB/TAP?
- What are mirror configurations?
- I think my Netgear Super-Hub (combined cable modem & Router) is a managed switch (among other things) - isn't it?
- the diagram inthe Active Wall help document implies that the PC with 'Active Wall with active redirect' is connected in a different way to other PCs on the LAN. Is this correct?
- does this PC have to be always present and always on for the other PCs to access the internet?
- how are all the other PCs placed into 'Redirect mode' ?

Wow, there are so many questions created by the help file. This seems like a major undertaking for me to achieve a very simple objective: manage the outgoing trafiic on the other PCs on my Home Network. These PCs are owned by foreign students who do not care what web-sites they visit nor if they run a p2p service (which is outside my ISP's Acceptable Use Policy).
XEyedBear

Postby admin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:30 am

1. HUB, TAP and switch are different devices in network.
Introduction of the HUB:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub
Introduction of the TAP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_tap
Introduction of the switch:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch
2. Some switches can be configured to use mirror port.
Introduction of the mirror port:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_mirroring
3. I'm not sure, maybe you can not configure mirror port on your super-hub.
4. Active wall does not require a special connection on redirect mode. But there are some known problems on redirect mode. please read user manual [7.2.2. Shortage of redirect mode]
5. You can shut down the PC. But don't do not unplug the network cable before stop active wall.
6. You do not need to change the topology of other PCs.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Questions & Answers