Setup active wall , a newbi need help !!

Have a question about Active Wall? Ask it here!

Setup active wall , a newbi need help !!

Postby amr123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:42 pm

hello every body ,

i like to setup active wall , but it seems that i could not configre it will
so please excuse me if i asked a stuiped questions bellow :D

my network setup is as follow :-
1- dsl router with one Ethernet port
2- windows machine with 2 netowrk cards , one connected to the dsl router and the other is connected to a switch which all PCs conntected to it

so after i read the help file , i found that i should use the bridge mode , but alos i find that i can use the bypass mode, so ,

1- what is the diffrent bewteen the bridge mode and the bypass mode( option 4)
2- in the bridge mode which adapter i sould use in the config menu, the external one (the one connected to the DSL router) or the internal one (the one connected to the switch )
3- at the clients side TCPIP setting , shold i setup it staticly , what is the gateway i should use , the Active wall machine or the DSL modem , and what about the DSN servers ?
4- in the internet options , should i use the Active wall machine as Proxy and which ip (external , internal ) and on which port , 3128 ? or what
5- after i do all the needed , how i can test that active wall is wokring ok and filtering the trafic

finally , i'd like to thank you in advacne , and i'm sorry if i talk to much :oops:

Amr
amr123

Re: Setup active wall , a newbi need help !!

Postby admin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:13 am

You can use bridge mode in your LAN.
First you should config network bridge in windows system (Please read user manual [Chapter 7. FAQ/7.1.7. How to configure a network bridge?]).
Insert your network bridge machine between DSL router and switch.
The network bridge machine works like a transparent device. The clients use DSL router as the gateway and DNS server.
Then install active wall on the network bridge machine, and you should select bridge mode and internal adapter in active wall.
You do not need setup any proxy in client side. Active wall and network bridge is a transparent device. If your config is correct, you can see all clients' traffic in active wall.
admin
Site Admin

Postby amr123 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:23 am

Thank you admin ,
i'll try and update you
amr123

Postby amr123 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:41 pm

Dear Admin ,

thanks for your help , i used your steps and it works ok , i tested it by imporintg the policy "denywebmail" and it worked great .

but the plugin plicy do not work , for example , i configred http plugin to "deny report "all the adult gategory , every time i try to open an adult site such as playboy.com , i can see it is logged and shown on the event log windows , but the browser opens the site normaly , (i made sure that the computer i used is on the group that i applied the policy on)

any ideas ? is they something wrong i did

aslo , i wish to learn me how to block my users to send emails with any attachments , from any web mail such as gmail , i understand it done with the smtp plugin, but aslo i tested it but nothing happened , even on the event log window

thanks in advacne
amr123

Postby admin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:26 pm

The blacklists in http filter and dns filter is just an example.
You can import several free and commercial distributions of blacklists on the net.
Please read this thread.
Gmail use smtp over ssl (tcp 465) but not standard smtp (tcp 25). So active wall can not analyze those packets.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Questions & Answers