A question regarding monitoring internet usage

Have a question about Active Wall? Ask it here!

A question regarding monitoring internet usage

Postby Azmandius » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:52 am

Hello,
I was suggested to try this application after trying any other tools out there with no result.
Before starting to use it I want to make one point clear for my self.
There are 10 computers on my network and there is no gateway computer through each all other computers access the Internet, instead all computers access Internet through regular 10 ports switch connected to regular DSL modem.
As admin I am just one of those 10 computers on the network.
If I install Active Wall Traffic Monitor on my computer will I be able to see simple reports of Internet usage by other computers?
Thank you.
Azmandius

Re: A question regarding monitoring internet usage

Postby admin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Yes, you should choose Redirect mode in active wall. For more details please refer to user manual [Chapter 3 Install and Uninstall/3.2. Network environments].
admin
Site Admin

Postby Azmandius » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:43 am

I am impressed.
I was wondering though how is this software able to grab traffic usage information from other machines on the network if its not installed on the way of any of them, except my computer (which is not a gateway at all)?
Does it read some kind of network card data from other computers on the network or so, otherwise it sound incredible to me?
Thank you.

p.s. wait a second, probably i will still have to install some client apps on network computers i want to get reports about, right?
Azmandius

Postby admin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:34 am

On redirect mode, active wall will enable "active redirect" technology.
This technology can capture the packets from other computers. So you do not need install any client program on other computers.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Azmandius » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:03 am

So far, this technology sounds incredible to me.
I'll see after installing it.
Thank you.
Azmandius

Postby Azmandius » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:50 am

I just tried it and i can't believe what i see, it actually does capture all traffic usage information from all computers on network without the need to install any client application on monitored computers.
Incredible.
Thank you very much for superbest software!
Cheers!
Azmandius

Postby einjelhart » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:40 am

wow! really? it is posible to check the usage of client on your network eventhough you dont have a server. maybe i will try this later so that i can see all usage of my client on my network. thanks
einjelhart

Postby eshine1314 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:47 pm

wow!It's too attractive!Howerver,I got my computer via online shopping, can use what you said monitoring internet usage?
eshine1314

Postby mashia » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Azmandius wrote:I am impressed.
I was wondering though how is this software able to grab traffic usage information from other machines on the network if its not installed on the way of any of them, except my computer (which is not a gateway at all)?
Does it read some kind of network card data from other computers on the network or so, otherwise it sound incredible to me?
Thank you.

p.s. wait a second, probably i will still have to install some client apps on network computers i want to get reports about, right?

Does he mean that the software is based on the internet connect, so it can log the other computers' internet usage?
Love me, love my dog.
mashia

Return to Questions & Answers